Monday, May 31, 2010

a post full of things I want to remember always

firstly.... yesterday was Ailish's 10th birthday so we all went up to her house for dinner (burgers were awesome Kristie, thanks). We had just finished dinner & the kids were all running around when all of a sudden there is a crash & Olivia has tripped over *NOTHING* & her head has broken her fall by colliding with a metal suitcase (you know, the ones that your ancestors took to war...). We all jumped up & Neil was the first to reach her. Apon inspection of her forehead it was obvious that we would be leaving & on our way to the ER very shortly.

So we left the party & took ourselves down to Womens & Childrens hospital where we were seen straight away in a "see & treat" area where they literally glued her skin back together & we were on our way back home.

I was really proud of her. Despite the fact that she would not allow me to touch her head to even mop up the blood & the fact that she screamed ALL the way down the freeway right until she started to fall asleep when we were just about there, she let all the nurses & Dr's have a look & fix up her wound. We were sceptical & warned everyone to expect the worst so they brought in an extra nurse to hold her down if they needed too. But it wasnt needed in the end. I lay on the bed with her & 1 nurse lightly held her face still while the Doc applied the glue. She was soo brave.



See that tongue... she sticks it out when she concentrates, just like her Dad.

So, while we were waiting for the nurse to come back in the room last night we were singing songs & playing games to distract Olivia. Olivia & I were clapping and Xander decided that looked like fun & started clapping too. It was the first time he has managed to co-ordinate his hands enough to do it. It was a bit exciting & we were all suitably impressed. (I wish I had a photo of it).

The last thing (for now) I want to remember always is this:



I hope its obvious who wrote it.... She did it this evening while I was preparing dinner. It was the first time she has written her own name all by herself (can you see the little l between the O & i). We have been practising for a little while & although I had written it out for her to copy she really didnt refer to it. She loves being able to write her name & gets so excited when I suggest that we practice. i love it!!!

4 comments:

Kristie said...

I'll have to get rid of the speed bump on the floor that she tripped over. I'm glad the hospital visit was a good experience for her - not that injuring herself was good, but you know what I mean.

I LOVE that she did a card for Ailish and wrote her name in it.

Thanks for coming up, all but briefly, and celebrating Ailish's birthday. She LOVES/ADORES her iPod.

Emma said...

Poor olivia :( but you are right, what a brave girl!

Anonymous said...

#5 Mum

She is beautiful and we are blessed. Love her signiture!!! Love Mum

Ash said...

What a tough girl.

And I LOVE how she sticks her tongue out! So cute!