Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I spend atleast 7 & a half hours a day there

Work!!! I love to hate it & I hate to love it.

Work for me is at BT Financial Group, I am a "reconciliations officer" but this means very little outside of my own lunch box. Basically I spend my time in front of my computer deciding what people are trying to do with their money & why they would be giving it to BT. We deal mainly with peoples Superannuation so its all rules & regulations.

I work to pay the bills & am not emotionally attached to the job but I find that I am too easily pulled into caring about what I do. I am quick to jump when someone doesnt do something that I need but am not so quick to jump when I am asked to do something but it doesnt have a benefit for me.

I am still trying to work out the work/life balance but am hopeful that this will be resolved in the coming months, I have major guilt when Olivia spends too much time in childcare. She is 2 & a half & has this whole other life that I am not involved in. To make matters worse she doesnt talk so trying to have a conversation with her & gain information about her "other life" is completely frustrating and fruitless.

On the flip side, I have a really good relationship with the people that I work closely with & they makes my days drift by. I am loud and am always up for a good laugh to break up the day so i am lucky that the people around me either tolerate me or are happy to have me there.

On that note I also feel that I am blessed to have a husband who supports any decision that I make and backs me in my choice to work or not. He is not silent on the topic, he definitely lets me know when I am working too much but at the same time is understanding of my reasons why.

Anyway, I just felt that I had to get that off my chest after a long & crazy day at the office so thanks for listening.

Ingrid

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Your issue is that you care too much. You care about giving 110% to your work. You care about the people you work with. You care about Olivia and her well being. You care about Neil's opinion.

None of this is bad. You're an amazing person trying to juggle the worlds in which you circulate in. There is no magic answer. I think it's just about give and take.

Thank you for caring about me and my family. I love you

Kristie said...

You need to change the time on your blog. I most certainly am not up at 4am in the morning catching up on your blog.

Dee said...

Yeah I was a bit suprised about the time that you posted, 3am. people ask me if i miss my kids while I'm at work. I tell them I don't. What the real answer is i would if i allowed myself to. I can't invest myself emotionally in missing my kids during the day because I have to be there and feeling sad and stuff doesn't make it any easier to get through the day.

ariana said...

Isn't it grand to be a woman. Men don't have to worry about this stuff--only in regards to the women they are married to. We don't even have children yet, and Derick doesn't like when I have to be in school or at work and he is at home. I have no idea what will happen next year when I graduate and return to working full time, on a nurse's schedule.