Monday, October 27, 2008

The birth of a cold roll

Yesterday was finally the day I have been planning for weeks. It was the day I had set aside for baking and cooking.


A couple of weeks ago Neil had expanded the veggie patch in the hope that something may actually grow, I also promised Ailish that she could help "pretty it up" with paint. I was tempted to paint it white with flowers painted around it but didnt think Neil would go for that.


Last weekend when Callum, Ailish & Rowan came for a sleep over there was no way that Ailish was going to accept "maybe later" in response to "can we paint it now". The boys and Olivia helped for all of about 5 minutes & then I got to chat & catch up with Ailish while we "worked" and finished it off.


All the kids nice & safe in some old shirts:




Then it was time the reap the harvest of the littler herb garden:




And of course savour the beauty that is your own home grown produce:





And finally I get to have some fun using the home grown produce, I know it looks massive but it is on a side plate & they were on the large-ish side:






I also made 2 loaves of bread (1 of which was devoured warm at lunch time), a banana cake & 2 batches of the best spanish noodle recipe so that when I dont feel like cooking during the week I have a fall back option rather than relying so heavily on Subway.

I ended the day exhausted but content.

4 comments:

ariana said...

ooh i am hungry! Can I come visit? I love that ya'll are just getting into summer. Our forecast is snow this week! Our garden is now all frozen, but it was good while it lasted.

Amelia said...

I love cold rolls, and they taste even better when you grow your own vegies and herbs. Looks like your garden is coming along nicely. I am ashamed to say that I have never made a loaf of bread from scratch ... do you have any good recipes? XO

Dee said...

I got to get into the vegie thing

Kristie said...

My goal tomorrow is to get the vegie patch up and running. I love just being able to pick fresh herbs straight from the garden.